Editor’s note: This story was originally published Dec. 1, following Jacksonville’s loss to Houston. On Wednesday, the Jaguars announced they placed Trevor Lawrence on injured reserve.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The Jacksonville Jaguars‘ placed QB Trevor Lawrence on injured reserve Wednesday, likely ending his season.
Lawrence sustained a concussion Sunday on a tackle by Houston Texans linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair — which the quarterback’s teammates described as a “dirty hit.” He was less than halfway into his return to action after missing two games with a left sprained AC joint.
With the IR designation, it’s likely the franchise quarterback’s season is over early after signing a five-year, $275 million contract in the offseason.
The Jaguars are 2-10 and with the Broncos win on “Monday Night Football,” Jacksonville is eliminated from playoff contention.
Lawrence’s concussion is the latest setback in a disappointing 2024. The season began with playoff expectations after owner Shad Khan said this was the best Jaguars team ever assembled. But nothing has gone to plan.
The team has been riddled with injuries, the offense has regressed, and the Jaguars entered Sunday with the worst defense in the league. Coach Doug Pederson and general manager Trent Baalke also face uncertain futures.
Here is an look at Lawrence’s status:
Why was Lawrence placed on injured reserve?
Al-Shaair hit Lawrence in the head after the quarterback slid at the end of a 6-yard scramble late in the first half, and Lawrence’s helmet hit the turf hard as he was knocked backward. Jaguars tight end Evan Engram retaliated against Al-Shaair, and that sparked the first of two fights between the teams. By the time the scrum cleared, officials ejected Al-Shaair for an illegal hit to the quarterback’s head and neck area and assessed Engram a personal foul penalty.
The brawl happened a few yards away from Lawrence, who was down on his back with his arms in what appeared to be the fencing posture — an involuntary position that occurs after a brain injury. Lawrence was on the field for several minutes being tended to by medical staff before eventually being taken off on a cart — he rode in front sitting up. The team then ruled him out for the rest of the game because of a concussion.
Pederson confirmed earlier this week that Lawrence was in concussion protocol and that he was “going to be fine.” Pederson said the status of Lawrence’s sprained left AC joint sustained vs. the Eagles in Week 9 would factor into their decision on whether to shut Lawrence down, but added that injury did not get aggravated by the hit.
In a similar situation, Miami Dolphinsquarterback Tua Tagovailoa suffered a concussion earlier this season in which he displayed the fencing posture. He was also placed on IR and was out for five weeks. Tagovailoa had a history of three previous concussions.